Thursday, February 26, 2009

What A Sucker

Saturday morning started out like any other. I woke up, made some coffee, and planted myself in front of the tv in hopes of an America's Next Top Model marathon. A' stayed over at his parents the night before so I was home alone. After an hour or so of channel surfing I get a call from A' wondering if I wanted to go with him and his mom to pick out a new computer. Sure, why not. Little did I know what I was in for.

Before we headed to Best Buy, we had to make a stop at PetCo for A's mom to buy something for her fish tank. As soon as you enter the building there is this crazy lady in hot pink stirrup pants facilitating the pet adoption table. Surrounded by yapping dogs, most of which were humping each other in a train, was a black and white shitzu with one eye and a mangled jaw. Let me preface by saying that A' is a sucker for animals, especially those who have been abused or neglected. I knew right away that I had to get him out of there before he stole all of the animals and set them free on a farm somewhere. I tried to rush them along with the fish food purchase, but A's eyes kept wandering back to the pet adoption corral.

After A' and his mom pet the dogs, we were finally on our way out the door... or so I thought. As soon as we sat down in the car A's mom says, "Did you see that little one with no eye? Man, I just feel so bad for her." A' responds, "I know, poor thing, I wonder what happened to her. I wish I could take her home and give her a good life." My internal dialogue, "No, no, no, no, no, no, please, no, drive, no, please, just, drive..." A's mom, "I know, I almost bought her!". A: "I wanted to too!" Then... they exchanged the look. It was all over. They both got out of the car.

So now, our happy little home is also home to a sweet, little, mangled puppy we've named Iris. It wasn't that I was opposed to this dog specifically, I was really opposed to the idea of a dog in general. We have two cats, recall? Yeah, our cats are not very happy with us, understatement of the year. My cat has definitely come around more than when we first brought Iris home, but she is still suspicious of our new addition. A's cat, on the other hand, is not havin' it. She is the spoiled princess of the house so this intruder is an unwelcome guest in her eyes.

Eventually everyone will get along, I'm just sure of it. All I know is that this lil pup will at least have a happy life from here on out, even if the rest of it wasn't that great.

No comments: